Thursday, October 4, 2012

Grama and Her Sisters


gramasisters
A Chorus Line of Beautiful Sisters
Kate, Marie, Flo, Jean, Barbara
Now this is what I'm talkin' about, girls.  Don't you just love this? The Sigl Sisters! Grama For was the eldest, Flo the youngest. FYI: I'm pretty sure she was called Grama For by a certain first granddaughter who left off the Le in Lefor. Do you see any family resemblance that may have passed down to us? It looks like there was a party going on because of the paper bells. Love the belted waists.

I don't think I ever realized that there were five girls, just like what Eileen had! More boys though. Big family!

Grama was always close to her sisters. I recall many times how she would be on the phone to one of them or would have just talked to them with something newsy to share with Eileen. A great lesson in life. Stay close to your sisters. They will always contain a part of your mother.

Kate never moved to California. She remained in North Dakota. She was the first to pass away. Barbara's husband Johnny played the accordion and supplied all the music for dancing the polka at weddings and parties. Remember that Barbara had to have a special shoe made because one leg was shorter than the other? She was a great cook like Grama also.  The sisters all lived in Sacramento nearby each other until Jean moved to Arizona.

I do see where I get my arms.
Linda


5 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this! I would adore having a copy of this picture. Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful.
    Now for added perspective. Grama's oldest daughter is the same age as the little sister standing next to her. So Gerry and Mary, you probably know what this festive event was. And what were you wearing that evening? Something classy and beautiful I'm sure. -- Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Beautiful women! I've tried to communicate the value of family and the memorable times I had growing up around the great aunts and uncles, uncles and aunts, cousins and grandparents to my sons, but, unfortunately, not being raised around the family, it is somewhat hard for them to grasp just how full and rich those times were for me.

    Grama For's brothers were just as equally handsome and such wonderful and caring gentlemen. Uncle Frank was a war hero and Uncle Nick served, too. I really miss them. And, let's not forget, we were blessed to know Great, great Uncle Frank and Great, great Aunt Theresa who were Grama's father's brother and sister. Their accents were so strong. I loved listening to them speak German to one another.

    I've realized as I've gotten older how privileged I was to be able to sit around the table when Grampa and Grama had family over to play Pinnocle. Listening to their stories and the history of our family was so interesting to me. It's probably what gave me a love for history and such a strong desire to research our geneology.

    There is so much to tell and pass down. I can't wait to see the history of our family unfold for the next generations.

    For those that don't care for history I think this will be a fun experience. I hope so, anyway.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment, Kelly. I felt like I was a little girl sitting at Grama's table once again myself.
      Was there another brother Pete??
      Pete and Betty.
      Or was that on Grampa's side?
      Please help me remember exactly Grama's immediate family.

      Delete
  4. I believe Pete was a relative of Grama's, and Betty was a cousin of Grampa's, and they married connecting the families even more closely.

    ReplyDelete